Happy Teeth-safe Food Month everyone! Food is one of the most central parts of our lives and affects our health in more ways than we can count. Oral health is no exception! Knowing which foods are beneficial and which are dangerous for your teeth is central to keeping your smile healthy and shining.
Cavities are one of the most well-known dental issues and can be directly linked to what we eat. One of the most common causes of cavities is the consumption of refined sugar. Refined sugar is broken down by bacteria and turned into acid, which in turn dissolves the tooth enamel. Because of this, the frequency of sugar consumption is actually more detrimental to your oral health than the amount of sugar you consume. So what are some of the best ways to indulge in your favorite sugary treats while keeping your teeth healthy?
- Eat sweets at a time you know you will brush soon afterward. Most people will brush their teeth pretty soon after eating a meal. Therefore, this is one of the best times to consume a sweet treat. If you’re snacking on sweets at a random time during the day, you are less likely to brush until later, and the sugar will have more time to sit on your teeth and will be more likely to damage them.
- Avoid having sugar in your mouth for an extended time. Some examples of this are soda and candies you suck on, such as lollipops. If you want to enjoy a sugary snack, a quick dessert like a piece of cake or pie is much better. When you are eating something quickly, the saliva in your mouth will be hard at work washing the debris away.
- If you want to snack, find substitutes! Many delicious snacks are much better for your teeth than candy and sweets but can still satisfy your cravings for something tasty! Try snacking on berries or yogurt – they are both sweet and good for your teeth!
Having a balanced diet is an integral part of your oral health. Not only will the right foods keep your teeth safe, but they will also keep your gums and bones strong. Discovering foods you enjoy that are also rich in vitamins is essential, and is not difficult to do! Foods containing vitamin C, vitamin B12, folic acid, and calcium are some of the best options for strong teeth and healthy gums. Here are some of our favorites…
- Beans, seeds, and nuts. These three foods have endless uses and can enhance many meals. They also contain folic acid, which will strengthen the supporting soft tissue in your mouth.
- Dark green leafy vegetables. When people think of calcium, they usually think of milk. However, certain leafy greens such as kale, spinach, and collard greens are chock full of calcium and will keep your teeth strong.
- Meat. Meats such as chicken and fish are versatile and delicious. You can’t go wrong with either because there are so many ways to cook and season them! In addition to this, they contain vitamin B12, which is great for keeping your gums healthy.
- Dairy. Dairy products such as cheese, milk, and yogurt will kill two birds with one stone. They contain both calcium and vitamin B12, which are beneficial to the health of your gums and teeth!
- Citrus. Whether you prefer fresh-squeezed orange juice or peeling and eating a clementine, citrus is delicious, rich in vitamin C, and perfect for keeping your soft mouth tissue healthy.
Food allergies are quite common, especially when it comes to things like nuts and dairy. Fortunately, the foods listed above are just the beginning when it comes to food that will help your oral health. You have countless options and will never get bored! Making sure you eat a plethora of foods with the listed vitamins and minerals will increase your oral health as well as your general well-being. We can give you plenty of tips on our blog, but it’s always better to come to see us in person! Give us a call today at (972) 820-8780 to schedule an appointment!